Sunday, July 20, 2014

R.I.P. James Garner


James Garner (born James Scott Bumgarner; April 7, 1928 – July 19, 2014) was an American film and television actor. He starred in several television series over more than five decades, which included such popular roles as Bret Maverick in the 1950s western/comedy series "Maverick" and Jim Rockford in the 1970's detective drama "The Rockford Files".
Garner starred in more than 50 films including "The Great Escape"(1963), Paddy Chayetsky's "The Americanization of Emily"(1964),"Grand Prix"(1966),Blake Edwards "Victor,Victoria"(1982), "Murphy's Romance"(1985) for which he received an Academy Award nomination, and "The Notebook" (2004). He died aged 86 on July 19 2014.
I was very sad to hear this news. I have nothing but fond memories of Mr. Garner growing up. Both on "Maverick", which was one of my Grandfathers favorite shows and as Jim Rockford on "The Rockford Files", which my Mom loved.
As I got older, my love of old movies introduced me again to James Garner and his younger work. He always struck me as very down to earth. Someone who didn't take themselves to seriously, with a great sense of humour. It will be a sadder world without him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment