Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Damn It Feels Good To Be A Trekker


I love Star Trek.

Always have, from as far back as I can remember. There is really not one incarnation of the franchise that I don't enjoy (although I do have some issues with the "JJ-verse" and his "starwars-ification" of Star Trek, but that is something I have talked about before and will most likely talk about again but that is a post for another time.

At the end of the day though, when I think of Star Trek I think of the Original Series. That is what Star Trek is...what I grew upon and for trekkies during the lean years of the 70's all that there was. Sure, there was the Animated Series, and lots of
cool books and fan fiction. And it was this fan base back if the 70's that really kick started the whole modern sci-fi convention.
Finally in 1979 we got Star Trek the Motion Picture. It was originally supposed to be a reboot of the series, but the success of Star Wars prompted the studio to re-work it  into a movie. And for the first time in years, despite its flaws,we got to see a new Star Trek story. It began a golden age for Star Trek fans. New interest, new movies, eventually leading to Star Trek the Next Generation, and beyond.

Star Trek: New Voyages episode with George Takei
What prompted this particular post was a web series called "Star Trek Continues". I came across it purely by chance the other day, and...wow! This was fantastic! Now I like to pride myself on being a bit of a geek and keeping up to date on all things going on in nerd-dom. Not much escapes my Sauron like gaze. I have been aware of many
fan based series over the years, two of the best being "Star Trek:New Voyages" (aka. Star Trek:Phase II) and "Starship Farragut". So how this little gem slipped by me I have no idea.
The production value is top notch, with excellent stories and a marvelous cast. Playing Kirk is an actor I had heard of before by the name of Vic Mignogna. An excellent, actor most well known for his voice work in Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon. He bares a resemblance to William Shatner and uses all the right mannerisms to make you believe he is Kirk. Two other cast members that stand out are Grant Imahara of Mythbusters fame as Sulu and Chris Doohan, the son of the late James Doohan playing the role his father made so iconic as Mr. Scott. The rest of the cast are excellent as well. I just can't say enough about how excellent this series, and the others as well, is. if you have a little free time I recommend that you check Star Trek Continues, and the others out.
Cast of Star Trek Continues

Also on the horizon for old school Star Trek fans is Star Trek: Axanar. Another Crowed funded endeavour through Kickstarter with names like Richard Hatch (Apollo-original BSG), Michael Hogan (Col. Tigh, Re-boot BSG), JG Hertzler (Martok, DS9) and Gary Graham (Enterprise) as Ambassador Soval. It tells the story of Garth of Izar, one of Kirk's personal heroes and the model for all Starfleet captains after him. Set 21 years before the Original series it is the story of the battle of Axanar, a pivotal point in federation history during a four year war with the Klingon's and the one that cemented Garth's fame and the Federation's future.

All this got me to thinking. What an outstanding time to be a Star Trek fan. With the quality of these fan based episodes, thanks to the love of some vary talented, dedicated fans and the level of CGI technology available these days, to some of the awesome toys and collectibles coming out and a cool MMO in Star Trek: Online. As well as the rebooted universe. There is so much cool stuff to see, do and choose from. truly a new "golden age" of Star Trek fandom.
To the Great Bird of the Galaxy, thanks for everything Gene!



No comments:

Post a Comment