Monday, August 11, 2014

Carpe diem...R.I.P. Robin Williams


I was sad and just a little shocked to hear of the death of Robin Williams. Mr. Williams was found in his home in northern California. He was 63 years of age.

I'm old enough to remember Happy Days, and his very first appearance as Mork form Ork. This was the role that catapulted him to stardom. He totally stole the show from the two big stars of the show (Ron Howard and Henry Winkler). And that was the performance that ended up getting him his own spin off series, Mork and Mindy.

After that he moved to the big screen, making people laugh and impressing them with how good an actor he was in memorable more "serious" roles. So many good movies. The ones that stick out in my head are "Good Morning Vietnam", "The Dead Poets Society" and "Good Will Hunting", for which he won an Oscar,  just to name a few.


The Roles I think I remember and enjoy the most are the ones that make me think of my kids. His role in "Jumanji" of course, where his manic comedic style blended so well with Bonnie Hunt. My daughters favorite movie of his is "The Birdcage" with Gene Hackman and Nathan Lane. If you have never seen this movie, I highly recommend it. And, of course the one that I watched a million times when my kids where young, over and over again..."Aladdin".

This was the part made for him. With out his mostly improvised performance, which was fantastic, the move would never been half as good. And it was one that established the role of star power in voice work. I have seen this movie more times than I could count and still enjoy watching it again and again, in large part thanks to his role. 

He also had a busy stand up career and was a staple on TV during those early days of cable with HBO and Super Channel. As well as all his charity work with Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg for Comic Relief USA in the late 80's and early 90's. And don't forget his appearance in the video for Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

The world was a little more fun to be in for his being here, and a little less without him. R.I.P. Robin Williams.


No comments:

Post a Comment