Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Two Thumbs Down...For The Critics

As far as I am concerned, movie critics have totally lost touch with the movie going public. Case in point. "The Last Airbender". I've seen the cartoon it is based on (not all, but enough to have the general idea of the story). Watched a lot of them with my kids (they have seen them all). So of course we went and saw the movie when it came out.


And you know what...we loved it. I thought it was a cool movie. Moved along at a good pace and had a strong story that was easy to follow, even if I hadn't seen the entire cartoon series. And my kids loved it as well. They thought that it stayed relatively true to the source material and liked all the actors. Even my lovely wife enjoyed the movie, and she had no idea what it was about going in.

So why are all the critics giving this movie bad reviews? The biggest complaint that I have heard is that it doesn't have any Asians in this Asian based movie. But it does, and it isn't. A large part of the cast (all the people of the fire nation) are of Indian descent. And India was in Asia last time I looked. And to the few critics complaining that Hollywood is ripping off a anime and "westernizing" it. Do your homework...it's an American animated television series. and it was created by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko for Nickelodeon. So cheers to M. Night Shyamalan. I really hope that the next two movies in this trilogy get made. With the current box office success, the chances of that get a lot better. Hey, even Alvin and the Chipmunks got a sequel (not sure why though).

The best part is "The Last Airbender" broke the 100 million mark the other day. Not bad. I guess some of these movie critics don't know a good movie when they see one.

No comments:

Post a Comment