Saturday, July 17, 2010

Too Much?

How far is too far when it comes to being politically correct. This morning, as I watched the news, they had a story about a midway ride that broke and injured some riders. Now, I am a firm believer that anyone, no matter race or sex should have a chance at a job so long as they have the skills needed to do that job.

You would think that being able to speak English clearly would be an essential job skill for a TV reporter. But apparently not, because the woman reporting from the location of the incident, while she could speak English it was not what I would call her first language. It was a struggle to understand what she was saying, as she would stop mid sentence and re-phrase, then continue along.

So my issue is... when did it become OK to place someone in a position at a national TV network that cannot speak clearly. How many other fully competent people where overlooked for this position? Political correctness gone to far? Were exceptions made because they were a female minority? I really don't care who reports the news to me...but I would like to know what they said.

No comments:

Post a Comment